Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Siblings

Who among us doesn't have siblings? I know that if you don't have any then you probably have a best friend who has always treated you like a brother or a sister. Well for me I have three siblings, I am the third child I share the middle child position with my brother Ian, whom has a very striking resemblance of me. The oldest of all of us Is Gabriel, he is four years older than me and was born on Valentines day, lucky him. Gabe is 20 years old and is a self proclaimed artist, he has his own style which to me is a cross between anime and graffiti. But I admire his work, he also stands at a height of 6"4 which basically means that he towers over the rest of our family and even though he wants to be an artist I really want him to be a comedian because no matter what he can always make me laugh.

Next up is Ian, Ian is going to be 18 on October 13th he is two years older than me but unfortunately for him I look older, but the only reason why this is, is because I'm taller. He is about 5"1 and I am 5"3 we get our shortness from our mom who is only 4"9, no that doesn't make her a midget, though if she shrinks an inch she then will need to buy a booster seat to drive the car. Ian has always felt bad about his height because he feels that i make it too hard for him to act like he is the older one when he is tinier. Another thing, Ian and I have been mistaken for twins all our lives, because quite literally the only thing that we don't share in common is our eye color (my eyes are dark green whilst his are an oaky brown) and our hairs volume, Ian has corkscrew curls that hang down just past his shoulders and I have semi-curly waves that also hang just past my shoulders. But everything else we share, we have many freckles in the same place, and we have many facial expressions that mimic each other and also I can tell what hes thinking. Whether I know that I'm doing it or not an idea pops into my head and I say it out loud and Ian claims that he was just thinking it. 

Then last but certainly not least is my baby sister Rowan, She is six years younger than I which makes her 10 years old this year. She was born on September 1st and that was just 2 days before my moms 40th birthday. When I was little I always wanted a younger sibling preferably a girl, when I was in Kindergarten I wanted a baby sister so bad I went around telling everyone that my mom was going to have a baby, when mom got wind of this she told me to stop telling people that because it wasn't true, thats when I turned to wishing stars. Every night my parents would sit outside with a cup of coffee and talk about their days. I often would come out just to look at the stars from our little country houses front yard. I would look up and recite in a small voice "starlight starbright first star I see tonight, wish I may, wish I might have the wish I wish tonight" then I would always ask for a baby sister. after about 2 months of wishing outside I came home one evening and my mom told us that they were gonna have another baby. then nine months later Rowan Ernestine was born. But I remember that day very clearly. Because my grandma was taking care of us while mom and dad were at the hospital. I remember that Granny Pat got bored with just sitting in the house so we all went out for a drive, but it wasn't much of a drive because all she did was find one specific block to drive around and I counted. After we stopped at the same light for the 5th time I complained that I was hungry she then said, "after we get through this light we'll get something to eat then go see your baby sister." when we  got to the hospital we were led to that big window in front of the nursery where all the brand new babies were kept. I looked in and all of them were sleeping and beautiful as can be except this one baby who was red as can be and screeching like a banshee. I was soo excited!! which one was mine!? Which beautiful baby did I get to take home!? thats when my dad did the unthinkable, he went into the nursery to show us our baby, and he took those steps right up into the first row and leaned over the wailing red baby and held her up, that was Rowan. Rowan was born with a full head of dark brown hair, and she had lungs of steel. She would not stop crying, I remember those few months of her tearless cries and was always thinking, "why did the stars give me such a wailer?" But baby Rowan grew up to be a very rambunctious busy body that knows everything that's going on before it happens. She and I show a striking resemblance from when I was little but we couldn't be any more different, Shes the sun im the moon, Shes fire and I'm water, she is everything that she wants to be and she is everything that i ever wanted in a sister. She is only 10 years old and already she has given 12 inches of her hair to locks of love, though after that she vowed never to cut her hair again because of how she said she hated it. Though I'm not gonna pretend like I'm the best sister in the whole world, because God knows that I'm not, I will yell at her when she doesn't deserve it and I can't help that sometimes I wish that she were older and less dependent on those who are older than her. Sometimes I wish that she was mute because of how much she talks, she doesn't ever know when to stop talking, in my opinion when she got old enough to I think she traded wailing with talking all together. But I love her, she is my baby sister no matter how mad I may get at her.


But you always have to remember, your siblings are for life, if you don't love them then what else do you have. I love my brothers and my sister. They drive me crazy but at the end of the day, I'm glad that Ian let me have the last bit of coffee, I'm glad that Gabe scared the crap outta me while I was listening to music, and I'm glad that Rowan kicks me in the face while we are sleeping on the couch because I know that I'm not alone. :) I love you guys. - Hannah

                                       This is Gabe failing at making a heart sign with his hands lol 

                      This is a Picture of me and Rowan being silly


                                 This is Ian who dreads getting his picture taken but we got him this time

No comments:

Post a Comment