Friday, August 27, 2010

School

One of my earliest memories of going to school was when I was in the first grade, sure I can remember school memories before that but this one just is burned into my memories for good. And it goes something like this...


I'm floating through a dream that is gradually fizzling away through a cloud as I awake.
My mom is carefully shaking my shoulder and whispering, "Hannah its time to get up sweetie,"
She didn't need to tell me why, because I knew that school was here. 
I don't dread school, I dread getting ready for school in the morning.
But today was different because on the first day of first grade I got up and walked to the bathroom
reached up on the shelf where I had clothes that I could easily reach and picked out a yellow tank top 
and blue shorts, I put on my new tennis shoes and put barretts in my hair to keep my bangs out of my eyes, and got my stuff. This may seem like a normal morning for everyone else but
I was a very particular child, usually I would scream in protest as someone would try to pry me from my bed, my mom would try to comb out my hair as I ran around the house with the brush stuck in my hair. Then THE SOCKS, I hated socks, still do, I would have my mom put them on for me and it would always feel funny, something would be out of place, sometimes mom would have to massage my socks into place to get me to stop complaining. But eventually we would get out the door, put me and Ian on the bus and I would be at school. School was always my favorite time of day, I got to see all of my friends and I learned how everything worked in the world. Still to this day I love school though I HATE getting up in the morning and fixing my hair, finding clothes that don't make me look fat, then finding my shoes and somehow getting breakfast of some sort in my stomach before I kill someone. 

Okay So as you can imagine, I am quite a handful in the morning, but despite all of these things I am actually a  morning person, because you don't actually have to tell me to get up because I know when its time for me to get up. But I am not like other kids who lay out their clothes the night before and can go through their mornings in a snap but I have to put on and take off about 4 different outfits before I decide that I look presentable. That is why I do my hair BEFORE I get dressed unless it is an off morning and I am actually happy with my outfit the first time I put one on. I either straighten my hair into submission or simply let it be, let it be crazy wavy and untameable. then I wake up Ian, I actually have to do this at least twice or else he NEVER wakes up. Then I find some form of breakfast and try to chill for a while before I leave at precisely 8:00 a.m. so that we can stand at the bus stop and wait for the bus driver to roll up and ask us about our summers and make our way up to the school where I stumble my way to my homeroom before I freak out about where my classes are. Then everything is gravy once I know where I gotta be, I love to learn, and I utterly retain every bit of information that I am given. After all photographic memory will do that to ya. And truth be told I love to take notes because if I hear a lecture and I write it down I remember it better, if you just hand me a piece of paper and say read this, then I wont retain diddly. So how do you learn, I have to learn it see it, have examples, explanations and stories. I need to be told and shown :) are you like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment